Friday, June 12, 2009

Serendipity

Disclaimer: this post is NOT about a newly published work.

Ever have one of those days where you think something really stinks, but it turns out to be fantastic? Well I did today. I had put off getting Folded Word's "fictitious business name statement" published in a local paper--not to the point of having to refile, but to the point that I had to drive to the county seat and coordinate it with the newspaper in person.

I hate to drive, especially on the freeway. I hate to drive more when my son has to tag along. And I really hate driving once I realize I forgot to look up directions.

But the address for the newspaper was on High Street. So all I had to do was park and walk until I found the right number. And that's where the serendipity part comes in. While my son and I were waiting for a light to turn, we found Winston Smith Books. It smelled like home. Light poured in the storefront windows and warmed the hardwood floors. Books lined tall shelves, neatly tucked in and NOT smelling of yellowed paperbacks. They even had rare books locked behind glass-front cases. And a stairway to the poetry section, tucked on a balcony overlooking the scene.

There, I found Chaucer: Sources and Backgrounds for only $5. They also had a massive comics section, which is why my son gave me time to find it. Now I'm hooked.

If we ever do a print book through Folded Word, I'm launching it there!

Cheers,
J.S.

3 comments:

Mel Bosworth said...

Love to bookstores, Jessi. You're making me want to go visit one soon.

j said...

Go, go, go. I love them. In fact we end up at one EVERY date night at some point. Ahh, the smell of paper.

Jessie Carty said...

Somewhere I need to go if I'm back in the bay area again!