Sunday, July 5, 2009

Blank Verse for Black Bear

BearViewFireworks

You crossed my husband's path today, still small
yet without mum. When you were foraging
our maple woods, did you expect to see
the fireworks tonight? Poor thing. I watched
Steele Hill's spectacular tucked safe behind
glass panes and plaster board. I wonder if
you pressed your face in saturated loam
to hide from SPARK and BOOM--or if you stood
atop our granite clearing flanked by ferns
to watch those crazy stars come out to play.

4 comments:

Mel Bosworth said...

Enjoyment.

You love NH.

j said...

Many thanks...

...and how can you tell? ;-)

Jessie Carty said...

I love this line:

you pressed your face in saturated loam

:)

j said...

Thanks, J1. That means a lot coming from you!

This was my first attempt at a poetic travel piece. It's quite a challenge compared to structuring the day's events in prose. But you know me and a good challenge...